Tuning Leaves

Tuning Leaves
Just Smile and The World Will Follow!

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Confuscius Say. . .

You are ambitious

While cleaning the Sewing Studio, I found this fortune.  It got me thinking, "Am I?"

I struggle with the reality of supporting ourselves with a home-based business daily.  Ok, minute my minute.  I talk about baby steps constantly, probably to keep myself buoyed up, but the reality is the baby steps are working.  Not in a huge way, but in a keep plugging along way.

This morning I woke up thinking what are the odds of making enough money to live comfortably?  What is the reality at this age?  I am 54, my husband is 70.  I should be thinking of retiring in the next 10 years.  He should be retired.   Oh, wait we were retired!  Plan A fell through. . .

Ok, Plan B is in the works.  Who knows we might end up on Plan Z!!




I guess it just boils down to what is comfortable for each and every individual.  Some people have a set list of choices that make sense.  Nurse, Doctor, Lawyer, Mechanic, Pilot, Chef, Writer, Artist, Carpenter, Musician, Teacher, Engineer. . . .

Some people learn a bunch of different trades and are jacks of all trades.  There are so many variables, health, age, education, motivation, skills, and ambition.

That made me think, "What other old fart made it late in life?" 

The Colonel!!

The Colonel of Kentucky Fried Chicken fame.  Whether or not you are a fan of the product, the story is fantastic.

I did a wikapedia search this morning and found out the Colonel had a long and varied career path.  I think it was more of a meandering path of making ends meet.  Oh, man oh man, can I relate!!

He was born in 1890.  He did not franchise his chicken until 1952!  He was 62 years young!!

I worked at a Kentucky Fried Chicken when I was 16.  I actually met the Colonel.  He was doing one of those fancy photo shoots.  I did not really think about that until this morning, but his consistent striving is what inspires me today.

What difference does it make if our journey in this life is not the "norm"? I guess in our checkbooks or retirement package or obituary, maybe.  There are millions of people right now who are struggling.  With all sorts of things, beside finances.  Health, love, hope, finding laughter, being peaceful. There have been millions of people throughout history who have struggled with these same issues, going back to the beginning of time.

So at whatever age you may be, I hope you are ambitious.  I hope that however you define it is a good thing.  Full of wonder and goodness and hope and laughter. Whether producing the best honey in the world, or crocheting the prettiest blanket, being the best welder, baking the best cake, the list is endless to what you can do and create.  At any age, everyday, every moment!

It all seems to come full circle to the journey.  We need to make our own personal journey a total joy, because it is the only one we get.  Reinventing yourself at any age can be challenging, but what fun.

I had a cousin, she was a writer, a successful journalist.  At 50 years old, she wanted to become a lawyer.  Everybody discouraged her.  Her mom, her husband, her colleagues and her friends.  At 60 something, she told me, she never should have listened to any of them.  She would have been practicing law for years, by the time of our conversation.  She said what difference did it make if she only did it for 5 years, or 10 years, she would have done it and done it well.  The point she made was don't let other peoples ideals or fears get in your way.  Don't let them take away what may be what you were meant to do.  Whether you succeed or fail, you will have tried and nobody can take that experience from you.

So today I go forth thinking of the future with only the best of intentions.
And yes, I am ambitious!
 
Quote for the day:
 
"Oh, it is delightful to have ambitions.  I'm so glad I have such a lot.  And there never seems to be any end to them- -that's the best of it.  Just as soon as you attain to one ambition you see another on glittering higher up still.  It does make life so interesting."
 
L.M. Montgomery
Anne of Green Gables

No comments:

Post a Comment