Tuning Leaves

Tuning Leaves
Just Smile and The World Will Follow!

Monday, January 13, 2014

Peacefulness

This is one of my main goals everyday.  I do not always accomplish it.  As a matter of fact, I would say it is along the lines of 60/40.  With the 60% of the time, not being peaceful.

Why is such a simple concept such a hard chore?

A long time ago, I found that listening to the news would upset me.  So much grief and sadness thrown at us, minute by minute.  I was reading a bunch of Dr. Andrew Weil's writing at the time, and one of the things he suggested was a News Fast.  It really worked for me.  I eliminated any news in the morning when I was starting my day.

A friend of mine was a High School Principal.  She was telling me how by the time she arrived at school, she was anxiety ridden.  We were discussing what she did before leaving the house in the morning.  She turned on the TV first thing and listened to the morning news.

I suggested she try the News Fast.  For a week, she turned on her favorite Classical Music and went about her morning routine.  Her results were fantastic.  There might be anxiety or challenges throughout her day, but she did not arrive at school with them.

Eliminating stressors in our lives is so important.  Sometimes just identifying them is a huge relief.

Our society runs at full speed.  We are connected all the time.  There are so many wonderful new technologies, but at the same time we need to disconnect and just be still.

I guess for me that next step is identifying what brings me immediate peacefulness.  What just came into my mind was animals.  Any animal always makes me smile.  Yes, our 4 dogs are a handful.  Yes, my house usually has dog hair, dirt and bits of kibble everywhere.  But when i see those wagging tails, and sweet eyes full of love, it all seems so unimportant. 
Suave as a puppy in Mexico
 
Suave and Daisy side by side, Mama Kiara patiently nursing
 
Four years later, still cuddled up for a morning snooze!
 

Yesterday my hubby and I went by our friends farm.  Their horses bring me immediate peace.  The moment I arrive, I want to run over and try to give the horses kisses!  It just makes my soul so peaceful.  It could also be the setting.  Out in the country, the pines swaying, the pastures rolling, the big massive animal staring at you!
I am smiling right now!
Just makes you happy!
 
So today find one thing that makes you smile and brings you a sense of peace.
Throughout the day when needed just bring that picture to your mind and sink into your place of Peace.
 
 
Quote for the day:
 
"There is no need to go to India or anywhere else to find peace.  You will find that deep place of silence right in your room, your garden or even your bathtub."
 
Elisabeth Kuebler-Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment