Tuning Leaves

Tuning Leaves
Just Smile and The World Will Follow!

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Turkey Necks

Oh My Goodness!!

Ok, I have been wanting to embrace this aging thing.
 Yes, why fight the inevitable?

So occasionally when I am feeling rather happy with myself, I will take photos to document this aging process.  The original thoughts behind this were that when I am REALLY OLD, I can look back at this spry 54 year old and think, Man, I looked great!

I usually take the photos after a shower, when my skin is all glowing and gorgeous.  Or when I have a green mask on, so it just it freaky! Just as long as nobody sees them!!

But my husband was messing with his phone yesterday, and tried to show me how to work something and it reversed the shot!

OH MY GOODNESS!



IT WAS MY TURKEY NECK!

  I quickly looked around the room to see who in the world had gotten in the house!  Nobody!  Just me and my turkey neck!  Lordy, be still my heart!

So how in the world do we deal with this new development in our lives?  I guess the same as being on fire throughout the day!  Sweater on, sweater off, socks on, socks off!  Yes, just like the dreaded hot flash!  It just is what it is!

I truly do love this age.  So much it clearer.  Things that were so upsetting years ago, no longer matter.  It is not that things don't upset us, it is just that sometimes we actually deal with them differently.  Sometimes we can just let it go!

I remember being a waitress in this "old school" restaurant in Palm Desert, California.  It was a "hot spot for seniors"!  Well, you can imagine the different groups of people, the customers that were the regulars.

There were the groups of men on golfing trips.  From all around the country.  They were out having a great time.  There were the groups of women, trying to find their next "sugar daddies".  It was a complicated situation!  Some of the women were so nipped and tucked, it was difficult to imagine what they had gone through.  They were probably so pretty before anything being done to them.

BUT...

The prettiest women in the restaurant were the women that had the luxury of just being themselves.
They were in their 70's or 80's, they had their wrinkles, they had their gray hair, they had a quiet sense of themselves.  They usually had a martini or an old fashion and they were kind.  The husband or date of these women would look lovingly at them in only a way that is brought on by pure love and acceptance.

I believe we should all do whatever it is that makes us feel good about ourselves.  It is not anybody else's business what our choices are regarding aging.  I just want to remember the women who seemed to do it effortlessly.  I want to remember their grace and kindness and attitude.

Aging requires hard work.  To stay healthy, in our bodies and our minds and our hearts.  Accepting aging requires even more hard work.  It is not for the faint of heart.  Those key words always return; gratitude, kindness, tolerance, and love.

Let us all be these things to ourselves!

On this week of Thanks. . .
Be Grateful
Be Kind
Be Tolerant
Be Loving

TO OURSELVES!

Quote for the day:

"The only difference between a good day and a bad day is your attitude."

Unknown





No comments:

Post a Comment