Tuning Leaves

Tuning Leaves
Just Smile and The World Will Follow!

Friday, September 13, 2013

Do You Love Color?

As you probably noticed from the few photos of  the new paint in the Sewing Studio, I LOVE COLOR!!

My whole life I have wanted to embrace color.  For a time I had a  hot pink living room!  Yes, it had a flagstone fireplace with the most amazing greens and greys in the stone.  An old wooden mantel and big, white over-stuffed sofas.  There were tons of ficus trees and the art was huge, a big canvas of pastels featuring flower fields!  I loved that room.  In winter, when it was so cold at the beach, I would have a roaring fire and the pink walls just glowed!!

We had bright orange walls in our living room, dining room & kitchen in Mexico.  It was one huge room, but there was very little wall space, actually.  You looked out at the ocean, and it was such a happy room.

I am planning on painting our kitchen a beautiful lavender!  I grew up in the 70's.  I was around alot of wonderful hippie people and I remember "hippie kitchens"!  My memories are lots of jars of beans, rice, herbs hanging, incense burning, and Jimi Hendrix playing!!  You get the picture.  I am planning on creating a "Purple Haze" kitchen!!  Oh, it will be so cute......a project for another time!

So when I was deciding what color to paint the Sewing Studio, it made me think, "what environment will help me create this new business?". I knew I did not want beige, not inspiring....I am not in a pastel mood, oh no!  I needed bold, beautiful, jewel tones.  Something rich, with an elegant, old world feel. 

Are you familiar with the designer Billy Baldwin?  He is famous for alot of interiors, but one of his most photographed is his fabulous, Red Room!  It was in Diana Vreeland's Manhattan apartment!  When you see the room, you just want a dirty martini and a pair of bell bottoms!! I have always wanted a red room, but never had the opportunity, Until NOW!

Hubby's Future Desk Area
Not that boring tan/beige!!
 
Same wall - Fabulous Rich Red!
 
Next wall to Paint....
 
What?  Is that a Sewing Machine I Spy!?!
 
There will be a 8' x 4' piece of white pegboard above the sewing table.  It will have the same 3' white crown moulding creating a frame.  It will house scissors, thread, rulers & stuff!!
 
Today I start in the other end of room. 
There will be a 4' x 8' cutting table centered at this end of room.
 
This wall will be cubby-hole shelving, floor to ceiling.
Hopefully it will  house all fabric and supplies!
 
Above the hubby's dresser will be all cork board for the Inspiration Wall!
 
The door on the left will be framed in and furred out to one even wall space.
I have an old used bookshelf and I will paint it black and hopefully it will store sewing/design books.
That is on the work schedule for this weekend!
 
If I seem overwhelmed this picture says it all!!
Our dining room!  Yikes!!
 
 Quote for the day:
 
"There is magic...in the deep-jewel-colored room, warm and mysterious, where you discover its many beauties as you sit, seduced slowly."
 
Billy Baldwin

No comments:

Post a Comment