Tuning Leaves

Tuning Leaves
Just Smile and The World Will Follow!

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Sunflower Harvest

We got out in the front yard early today to harvest those Leaning Towers Of Sunflowers!
 
I kept waiting to do more research on how to harvest the seeds.
 
Do they need to dry on the stem?  Can they be cut and hung?
I never did the research and the front yard started to look so droopy!
 
The heads we kept....
 
The front was really fun this year because of all the sunflowers.  It was a happy yard.
I did learn alot in the front area that was expanded for a more "grown-up" flower garden......
I did not pay attention to plant height, and so many things I was hoping to give a good start to did not get the sun they needed.
 
Perfect example is this Cardoon
 
It is a member of the artichoke family.  It should get 4' tall and 4' wide with beautiful silvery leaves that are actually edible.  The flowers are supposed to be a wonderful purple, perfect for cutting.
I bought two of these and they were in the shadow of the gigantic sunflowers.  They are a perennial, so I am hoping they will come back next season.
 
 
My Sage
This sage survived my pulling weed madness in August!
I am hoping to use it for our turkey this Thanksgiving!!
It was started from seed, and the only seedling that made it out of a whole tray.
 
 
Caterpillar having a morning snooze on an old zinnia flower!
 
 
 
Echineacea
I was so mad at myself over all my Echineacea, because they were an important part of my learning this season.  I started so many from seed and nurtured them to be strong enough to plant outside.  A big learning curve for me.  Then I overplant the sunflowers, the basil and the marigold.  It seemed like they had not made it and lo and behold, what do I find today?
 
Echineacea all over the place!  Yahoo!  I am so thrilled and humbled.  I will read up on it some more and see what I can do make it stronger and have a chance to come back next spring!!
 
Gardening is so much fun.  I love to dig in the dirt.  I love to see what works and what does not.  I love the fact that with a little hard work and effort, you can feed your family and bring so much joy into your home with beautiful flowers!  I am so looking forward to planning next years front yard and hoping to learn from all this years lessons!
 
 
Flower Power
 
 
Quote for the day:
 
"More than anything I must have flowers, always, always."
 
Monet
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment