Tuning Leaves

Tuning Leaves
Just Smile and The World Will Follow!

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

What is a Mandala?

I had to look up different definitions before I started writing.  I had my own definition, but often my memory is wrong.  I found this:

The word "mandala" is from the classical Indian language of Sanskrit. Loosely translated to mean "circle," a mandala is far more than a simple shape. It represents wholeness, and can be seen as a model for the organizational structure of life itself--a cosmic diagram that reminds us of our relation to the infinite, the world that extends both beyond and within our bodies and minds.

When I was in Design School at UCLA, one of my classes was taught by this wonderful, wacky woman, Judith Lightbody.  I think that was her name.

Anyways, one of the projects was to design and paint our own mandala and then present to the class. 

I loved mine.  I am pretty sure I have lost it in all the moves, but I remember it distinctly.  At the time I was struggling with not having kids yet, and that was at the center of my mandala.  One of da Vinci's drawings of the child in the womb.  All around I showed different images that represented my own family.  Christmas trees for my mom, she grew them for her livilhood.  A sofa for my dad, the furniture manufacturer.  A plane for my brother, a pilot at the time. I can't remember what else, just my family and this..........

At the bottom was a brick wall in grey.  There were big chinese red arched doors in the middle with ornate brass hardware for handles.

This represented the wall that was in my mind and blocking me from moving further towards my dreams.  The doors represented the fact that I had the keys the whole time.  I had the ability to make those dreams come true.  I just kept forgetting they were in my pocket!

That is how I feel about this time in my life.  The keys are right here.  I am capable.

So what got me on this thought process?  Yesterday, I was frustrated.  I was thinking how in the world am I going make a living sewing pillows?  Who is going to buy them?  How can this possibly work?  What am I thinking?

We have not had air conditioning for a week.  Sitting in a hot and humid house for a week in the Southeast in Summer can really bring in all the fear and doubt in your soul!  It is not fun, for sure.

I grabbed a bunch of business cards, from people offering sewing services. One had a website and I checked it out.  In her "About me" section it mentioned she had gone to "The Custom Home Furnishing Trade School"
.
What?!  What in the world is this? 

Thank goodness for the internet!  This is what seems to be an awesome school outside of Charlotte.  That is only 1 1/2 hours away! 

Sometimes the Universe is waiting for us to receive the information it has had on hold because we just could not accept it before this moment.  Whatever the life circumstance that might be holding us back, whatever the reasons are.....The universe waits patiently until we are ready to RECEIVE AND BELIEVE!!!

I believe this with every fiber of my soul.  The goodness that God, or The Power Greater than Ourselves, Yes, The Big Ole Universe is just on "stand by", waiting for us to accept the fact that we are meant to SHINE!

I feel like I am a GOOD seamstress.  I want to be a GREAT seamstress.  I want the skill set to create amazing, beautiful things.  I want to know the "tricks of the trade".  I want and deserve to create a business that can support me and my family into my old age.  I want it to be something that I love........

Is it possible?  You bet it is.  Can I combine my love of fabric, color, texture with herbs, flowers and homemade soap?  You bet I can!  Will it be easy?  I do not believe so, but it is going to be so, so much fun.....Let the good times roll.......I can feel very loud music playing and dancing with the dogs in my morning routine today!!

Quote for the day:
 
"Do not let anybody dull your shine."
 
Tyra Banks

No comments:

Post a Comment