Tuning Leaves

Tuning Leaves
Just Smile and The World Will Follow!

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Fake Out!

Again we are Beeless Beekeepers!  I can't wait for our next Bee Club meeting to share our most recent  bee adventure blunder!! 

Well, I was so proud of our trapping a feral beehive.....................

Yellow Jackets!
Lo and behold, these are the little buggers that were in my hubby's shoes!
I called up my friend, Beelady and was so proud explaining our new hive. She listened kindly, asked a few questions and was so pleased for us.  Then I get a call from Farmer T....
he listened kindly, asked a few questions and asked me to look at a link they had sent me.
 
Was I ever shocked and amused that we had caught a hive of Yellow Jackets!  Yikes!!
I thought that the bodies looked different than our first hive.  After taking the Beekeeping Certification Class, you would think we would have identified the little buggers first!
Live and Learn and Laugh!
 
We now have to destroy them.  They are happily living in their new condo, with a big bucket of sugar water!  The adventure continues....Stay posted!
 
The weather has been incredible.  The air is crisp and cool.  The sky is blue.  The trees are starting to lose their leaves!  This is exactly what I had hoped for when choosing a new spot to live. 
The seasons enchant me.  I am delighted with the different light and movement.
 
The peppers were really yummy!
 
We are back on South Beach.  It amazes me how much better I feel.
Of course, my hubby always loses so much faster it is maddening, but what the heck!
Our new favorite grain is farro.  We cannot get enough of it.  We buy it when we drive to Greenville.  There is a Trader Joe's in Greenville, and three are in Charlotte. 
Everything a little over an hour away.
Supplies need to be bought in bulk.  Life when you live rurally!
 
It reminds me of living in Mexico.  The shopping list are always so long.
In Mexico, we could drive an hour south to Manzanillo.  There were bigger supermarkets, there was a Walmart, and some wonderful restaurants.  When we were buying things for building the house, we would make trips to Guadalajara.  Oh, what an amazing city.  That is a post for another day!
How did farro get me to Guadalajara?
 
Black eyed Susan seeds
 
I have started to collect the seeds again this year.  As you know I failed last year at keeping them at a correct room temperature.  This year I will try again.  They are one of my favorites!
Saving seeds is something I really want to be good at.  It seems fairly easy, but just like keeping a garden, there are many different learning curves!  You just can't throw the seeds out and expect an abundant harvest.  Oh, no!
Location, soil health, sunlight, spacing, plant rotation, succession planting, trellising, weed control, pest control.
No, gardening is not without its challenges!
But boy oh boy the rewards.
Already we are planning next years crops.  We are hoping to get the seed room built.  The transplant area finished and the hoop house done before spring.  There are new gardens planned back where my brother has cleared and I truly hope to plant a lavender field next spring!
We will see what happens, but dreaming is so much fun!
 
Quote for the day:
 
"Optimism is the one quality more associated with success and happiness than any other."
 
Brian Tracy
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment