Tuning Leaves

Tuning Leaves
Just Smile and The World Will Follow!

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Plow Days! So Much Fun!

Yesterday was one of the funnest days ever!  My friends, Farrier T & Horselady S, invited me to join them on a Plow Day Event......

Talk about a dream come true.  Since I am a wanna be farmer, settling on learning to create a homestead, it was like letting me loose in Farmland, instead of Disneyland!

Yes, that is Wayne on the left, and Cora closer to us.
They are Haflingers.  Draft horses.
They are so amazing!
 
Plow days happen mainly in Spring and in the Fall.  I believe it is a way to get together with like minded people, plow some fields, have some fun, eat some great food, and see some old time equipment and skills!
 
There were different teams of horses that were all working on the fields.
 
This team are Percheron's.
You wouldn't believe how big they are!
The horse on the left is taller than me!
Such beauty and strength!
 
Plowing away
If I am remembering correctly, if your plow makes a 10" furrow or row, when you plow 1 acre, you are walking 9.8 miles!  Wow, really makes your respect our food, what goes into it.
 
I did go three lengths.  My rows were definitely not straight!  Ha, ha what fun!
You work the plow in the opposite direction you want to go.  Farrier T had the reins and would help slow the horses or speed them up with verbal commands.  He and his team plowed more than any other team and he was not even winded!  I was out of breath after each of my attempts!
There I am! So Much Fun!!
 
There was sorghum pressing being done with horse power, as well.
The horse powers the press, it creates the juice, which empties into a bucket with cheesecloth.  You pick out the cheesecloth, which filters out the organic matter and then they cook it over an open fire!
It has to cook to like 232 degrees, if I remember correctly.
Then it becomes molasses!  Delicious!
 
And I complain about doing laundry?!
Antique washer! This one was my favorite!
 
Wayne & Cora & Farrier T & Me
Picture courtesy of Horselady S!
 
My favorite horses on the Planet!
Horse Power Rocks!
 
I have much more to share but will save some for another post!
 
This world is full of amazing people. There is so much to learn, so much to do!
Thank you so much Farrier T & Horselady S for an awesome day!
I am so blessed by the wonderful, kind, loving people I have met here in the Southeast!
Now talk about riding the horse in the direction is it going?
What Fun is Life!
 
Quote for the day:
 
"Love and magic have a great deal in common.  They enrich the soul, delight the heart.  And they both take practice."
 
Unknown
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Love this post!!! It was such a wonderful day, and you made it even more fun, my friend. That's funny you referred to me as Horselady. I used to be known as the Egglady. Lol That was back when we sold a lot of eggs. Look forward to some more fun times with you, and your hubby!

    ReplyDelete