Tuning Leaves

Tuning Leaves
Just Smile and The World Will Follow!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Adjustment Periods

How long does it take you to settle into a new environment?  It could be a new location, a new state, a new country, heck for that matter, just a new house, apartment, or studio!

I took Miss Kiara to the vet this morning.  As I was driving through the countryside, I kept thinking to myself, "how lucky are we to be here? what an awesome place!"!!

It is green and lush right now.  Dense woods, rivers and streams, wildlife galore, and farms!  So many farms, one after another. 

I LOVE THIS PLACE!

Now it did not start out that way.  My husband came and checked out several possiblities that were in our price range.  We had explored this incredible country, state by state, on the internet!  Yes, realtor.com was constantly online for months!!  When I tell people that, I can see a look of disbelief, "like you two really are crazy!" Well, I believe we are, but that is another post!  Ha, ha, LIFE!

We chose a little house built in 1949, on 5 densly wooded acres.
 I had no idea, that we were so far from a bigger town.  After 4 years of being so isolated in Mexico, from common conveniences, I was so angry, that we were this far out.  Now I cannot imagine living in a city again. 

The first winter, it snowed like crazy!!  I was delighted.  Being from Southern California, I was thrilled to wake up and see snow covered trees everywhere!  It turns out that is the exception, and not the rule for the area we live in, but WOWZER!
 

The Spring is fantastic.  Just watching the trees start to turn green is such a treat.
I never really understood, why there is such anticipation of Sping.  After months of cold and brown everywhere you look, it is refreshing to have that hope again of flowers and green trees.  Will you grow the best tomatoe this year?  Will the pumpkins be really BIG?!  How many flowers can you grow for bouquets?

The Spring Surge is intense.  Digging, Dreaming, Digging, Planting, Digging, More Dreaming, Oh, did I mention Digging?!!!  Yes, you get stronger than you knew was possible and even though it hurts, it feels so good!
My husband, Digging & Digging!
 
 
 
The summer is hot & humid here in the Southeast.  If we had not lived in Mexico, where the summer was exactly the same heat & humidity, I might have jump on a railroad boxcar, like a hobo and disappeared anywhere cool! 

I was so happy to be back in the United States, with all the opportunities that are waiting for us to explore them. I jumped into programs, like the Master Gardener offered through Clemson Extension.
It was such a wonderful way to get my feet wet with learning about this region.  Not to mention, the lovely people that run that program.  It is a way to gain knoweledge and to give back to your community. 

Through the Extension office, I found all sorts of Workshops that are offered in the area.  Clemson has an incredible student organic farm at the school.  They do a wonderful job of helping people learn anything about plants & animals. The Local Food Movement has so many things that are happening.  In every state, people are looking into the food they buy, the food being put on their tables and given to their families.  It is awesome and inspiring.

In Mexico, it took me 3 years, to feel like it had become our home.  We have just passed our 3 year mark here in the South and this is my home!  It feels like it, I am grateful for it and I am so excited about the life we will create here.

So, my friends, 3 years, that is my adjustment period to a new locale.  Who knew?


Quote for the day:

"If you want to know what it is like to be rich, count your blessings."

Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment