Tuning Leaves

Tuning Leaves
Just Smile and The World Will Follow!

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Soapmaking 101

Yesterday, I was thrilled to take a Soapmaking Class at The Grain Loft.  I have wanted to learn for years.  My mom use to sell the most beautiful handmade soap at the street fair in California.  It was a glycerin base, and had ribbons of different colors running through it.  They were beautiful, so good for your skin, and the scent was delightful.

I am much better at learning something, when I see it, in person, demonstrated.  That is why I love classes or workshops because it sinks into my ole noggin!!  A women that I worked for years ago, told me that I was a visual learner as opposed to an audio learner.  You have no idea what a gift that was!  It helped me understand when something was not making sense, I realized I just had to do it, not hear about it. So off to Soapmaking Class I go........

Handmade Soap by Tygerheart Fine Soaps
 
Carol Isler  is the wonderful woman, who owns Tygerheart and teaches classes, as well.
She goes over soap terminology, ingredients, what works for her, and what has not worked.
 
Soap Calculations by Hand!
 
We worked with Lard, Coconut Oil and Olive Oil.  Lye and water are added, as well.
You can choose to add pigment for color, lavender flowers, calendula flowers, or oatmeal for exfoliation, and a scent if you would like.
 
A treasure trove of scents to choose from!
 
I chose a little bit of purple color and orange blossom scent!  It smells so good!
After you mix it until it is similar to a firm puddin", then you pour it into your mold
 and let set for 24-48 hours.
It should pop out of mold easily.  You then cut it and let it cure.  The longer is cures, the harder the soap becomes, as the water is drying out or evaporating.
 
Digital scale, Lard, Olive Oil, Lye and Newspaper Covered Work Surface
 
Carol provided a wonderful handout, full of the suppliers for soapmaking.  It has a step by step process explained easily.  There are charts, terminology, products descriptions, and more.
 
 
A gift of the beautiful Soaps by Tygerheart.
They have a Facebook page, you should check them out!
 
It was a wonderful class.  I found Carole easy to understand, very thorough, and so kind.  I would recommend her classes!
 
I ended the day with my own batch of homemade soap!
I feel  a new product for Kiara Kisses!  I will keep you posted...........
 
My first batch of soap!
 
It smells so good!  I am so excited!!
 
 
The Grain Loft is a wonderful business, which offers so many wonderful things.  You should check them out; www.thegrainloft.com
 
The space where they offer so many classes is awesome!
In September, they offer:
Get Ready to Learn; Maximizing Essential Oils for School
Bread 101
Dairy and Non-Dairy Kefir and Yogurt
Water Kefir and Kombucha
 
 
so many classes, so little time......
 
 
 
Quote for the day:
 
"i thank you God for most this amazing day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything which is natural which is infinite which is yes"
 
e.e. cummings
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment