Tuning Leaves

Tuning Leaves
Just Smile and The World Will Follow!

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

McGyver to the Rescue!

I betcha didn't know my husband can fix nearly anything?!  Don't mean to brag, but it is the truth.....

After a full day at work yesterday, he headed home and dug up, and repaired a leak in the water line to our home.  $7 bucks for materials and his hard work, eliminated a costly plumbing bill!!  Wowzer!
 

 
I remember when we had just moved to Mexico.  We were building our home, and living in a rental house in the village.  It was summer, which is the rainy season, and it was storming!!  It was hot and humid and we lost power.  My husband goes out in what seemed like a monsoon, he finds the breakers, which are like a million years old, and I don't believe are used any more.  He juryriggs the power station with big paperclips, and voila, we have power and air conditioning!!
I LOVE THIS MAN
 
 
 
My mom has her first porch garden here in the South.  This is her first bell pepper!!
This was a seedling from a local nursery.  We planted several in our garden, as well.  Something got to our peppers.  We did not get one this year.  I think it was either the soil or bugs, but we were so bummed.  Now this is a beauty of a pepper!!  Go Mom!
 
 
 
What are these?
Good or Bad Bug??
 
They are all over the sunflowers.  I am going to send a picture to my local Extension agent, and also look up on the Clemson site, that has insect info.  I will let you know what I find out.
 
 
 
Butternut Squash
This is our first year growing butternut squash!  We have 7 that I believe we can harvest.  This one has just turned a deeper shade of tan.  I think this is when it can be picked.  I will go online and read up on this.  Butternut squash soup this winter!!  Yummy!
 
 
 
Basil, Basil, Basil
Yes, it has bolted.  Bad gardener!!  Today I am going to freeze a bunch.  Since it is not in the ole budget at this time to make pesto, I am going to chop and freeze in ice cube trays.
 
Thinking of the future herb business, my mind is always making up new names........
Kelly's Herb Adventure
Basil Fields Forever
Catnip Corner
You get the idea, I find it funny that it is something I am working towards, WHEN just this last week, I am embarrassed to admit, BUT I got angry at the front herb area, and in a fit of frustration pulled a bunch of what I believed were weeds.  WELL.....the Johnny Selected Seed catalogue came.......and I had pulled out all the dill, fennel and I think my chives!!  Holy Moly.
This is the perfect example of not making a proper plan, labeling each area, (because you think you will remember where you planted what!), and come that hot, humid August day, when you just have had it with gardening, in a moment of madness, you pull up your goodies!!
THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF LEARNING FROM YOUR GARDENING MISTAKES!
 
 
 
Butterfly Beauty
 
This beauty kept posing for photos!
 
 
Quote for the day:
 
"My heart wants roots,
My mind wants wings.
I cannot bear
Their bickerings."
 
E.Y Harburg
 
 
 

1 comment: